Tesla, BYD accounted for 68% of LFP batteries deployed from Q1-Q3 2022


Whereas the electrical car transition is underway, various gamers are rising as leaders within the EV battery sector. Particularly notable are corporations main the cost within the deployment of various kinds of batteries, equivalent to lithium iron phosphate (LFP) cells, that are utilized by corporations like Tesla and BYD. 

Market analysis service Adamas Intelligence has famous that LFP batteries have been gaining market share from nickel-rich rivals over the previous two years. In January 2021, LFP batteries’ share was at 17%, and in January 2022, this quantity elevated to 26%. As of September 2022, LFP batteries held a market share of 31%. 

Curiously sufficient, Adamas famous that a lot of this development just isn’t as a consequence of a wave of electrical car makers out of the blue using LFP batteries for his or her respective electrical automobiles. As a substitute, the rise was largely as a result of adoption of LFP batteries by main EV gamers Tesla and BYD. Tesla and BYD are two of China’s most notable electrical car makers. 

Within the first 9 months of 2022, Tesla and BYD accounted for 68% of all LFP utilized in newly bought passenger PHEVs and BEVs worldwide. Alternatively, different automakers, equivalent to SGMW, GAC, MG, and Geely, accounted for the remaining 32%. It ought to be famous that whereas LFP is gaining momentum, the vast majority of automakers and passenger EV fashions bought globally nonetheless use nickel-rich batteries. If taken collectively, the mixed market share of nickel-rich batteries utilized by automakers continues to be bigger than the present market share of LFP batteries.

Credit score: Adamas Intelligence

It ought to be famous that within the first 9 months of 2022, greater than 85% of LFP batteries utilized in passenger EVs globally had been in China. Following China was america, then India, the UK, and Germany. Virtually the entire LFP batteries deployed outdoors of China had been additionally in automobiles or cells that had been produced and exported from the nation. This successfully makes China the worldwide epicenter of the LFP trade, at the least for now. 

Whereas LFP batteries have a decrease power density than nickel-rich cells, they do current some notable benefits. They’re inexpensive to provide, they’re usually safer, they don’t include cobalt, and so they are typically extremely cost-effective in the long run. Tesla has taken a favorable stance on LFP batteries, with the corporate utilizing them for its entry-level automobiles just like the Mannequin 3 RWD from China and power storage merchandise just like the Megapack. 

Don’t hesitate to contact us with information suggestions. Simply ship a message to [email protected] to present us a heads up.

Tesla, BYD estimated to account for 68% of LFP batteries deployed from Q1-Q3 2022


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here